Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake
(recipe from http://www.epicurious.com)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 16-cup tube pan. Dust pan with cake flour; tap out excess flour.
Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat 5 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and peel. Using rubber spatula, mix in dry ingredients. Mix in sour cream. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Cut around cake in pan. Turn out cake.
Carefully turn cake right side up on rack and cool completely. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Wrap in foil and let stand at room temperature.)
- to make cake flour add two tablespoons of cornstarch the bottom of the 1 cup measure and fill the rest of the cup with all purpose flour. This makes 1 cup of CAKE FLOUR
- I cut this recipe in half and made the one loaf above and it was the perfect amount
- I made a glaze out of the juice of a lemon & a bit of confectioners sugar and glazed the whole cake while still warm.
this cake was super yummy, stayed moist for a while.
So I've been obsessing about these and finally ordered a pan online and made them! SOO good, took them to a party and it was a hit. The best part (well besides the dark chocolate) was that they were painted gold. I hope to try different flavors & combos and I'll share my findings here.