December 20, 2010

Chinese Boiled Chicken



Just bought a brand new cleaver. Thought I'd put it to use with my favorite dish that my grandmother makes. Boiled chicken is a healthy way to cook it.  She does it a little differently, but I love it just as much. Very comforting when I miss home.

Ingredients 
1 Whole Chicken
2" Piece of Fresh Ginger Root
A few Garlic Cloves
Green Onions
Salt 
Pepper
Soy Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Peanut Oil

Directions
Place whole chicken in large pot of cold water, along with ginger root & garlic cloves. 
Bring water to boil for 10 - 12 minutes. 
Shut heat, cover pot, and let rest for 1 hour. 
Remove chicken from water and let rest 10 - 15 minutes. 
Use cleaver to chop up the chicken Chinese style with the bone in. 

Salt & Pepper to taste. Heat Peanut Oil and pour over chicken. Chop green onions and sprinkle over chicken. Mix soy sauce & oyster sauce to taste for dipping. 

** this is where my grandmother would chill the chicken, and sever cold. 
I eat it warm.

1 comment: