April 10, 2011

Katen

(these are all lemon from a party last year)
My grandmother on my mom's side is Portuguese. We used to call (her mother) my great grandmother Vov√≥. I remember her well, but she started to get old when I was old enough to understand things. It makes me sad to know I never really got to talk to her about things. Something I do remember is going to her house and eating the most delicious ham sandwiches. Just plain bread and meat. Don't why it was so good at her house, but it was! 


Another memory I have is of an old woman who lived next door to her. When ever they'd have get togethers the lady would bring over Katen. (I think that's what it's called? A Japanese layered jello dessert. I can't seem to find it online anywhere). It's layered jello with sweet and condensed milk. The lady would make like 10 layers. My grandma always tells me to make it for people on the mainland. She's funny. Great recipe here. You could even use all natural fruit juices to make your own flavors! I used Strawberry, Orange, and Lemon here.


I know it may sound strange and I was frightened of the gelatin, but it really will surprise you at how yummy it is! Sweet and refreshing for BBQ's! 

2 comments: