January 9, 2012

Portugese Sweet Bread & Donuts

If you've been to Hawaii, you've probably seen lots of Portuguese Sweet Bread on the menu for french toast. It's an amazingly sweet and soft bread that lends it self well to all sorts of recipes.
So . . . 
I've been baking up a storm lately. And for some reason I had this great idea that I could make an amazingly sweet and soft donut using a Portuguese Sweet Bread recipe! Using the King Arthur Recipe, I made some dough. I baked some of it and made a loaf that turned out wonderfully! We used it for french toast the next morning. 

The rest of the dough, I rolled out, cut into donut shapes, deep fried in shortening, and dipped in a simple donut glaze. I have to say the kneading and waiting was a bit of a long process but the results were worth it. The bread didn't come out as soft on the outside, as they do from the store, but still delish. Do try if you have some time.

ps. I had Cisco do the kneading as he was so good in Ceramics Class in college! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment